HPP Lobster Thermidor Recipe with Brandy
Lobster Thermidor is a classic recipe that is always a showstopper on any special occasion. It is a real ‘old-school’ recipe dating back to 1891, which is just one year before Gidney Fisheries first started exporting lobsters from Digby Neck!
This easy lobster thermidor recipe with brandy is a modern take on the dish. It is fresher, lighter, and omits the egg to thicken – which makes it much easier to execute at home.
Using our HPP Half Split Lobster you save even more time, avoid wasting lobster meat, and are able to plate perfection!
Easy Lobster Thermidor Ingredients
- Two HPP Half Split Lobsters (2 x halves, thawed)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole milk (cold)
- 1/4 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Half shallot (finely diced)
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- Whole lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 oz Brandy
- In a small saucepan on medium-low heat, melt 1/4 cup butter. Dice shallot very fine; add to melted butter. Stir until shallots are translucent, but do not brown! (approximately 3 minutes).
- Add brandy – stir and reduce for 2 minutes, or until brandy has disappeared. Careful, the brandy may ignite!
- Whisk in one tablespoon all-purpose flour. Continue whisking on the heat for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/3 cup COLD milk, and whisk vigorously to avoid lumps. The sauce will thicken as it comes to the boil. Sauce may look too thick – it will thin to correct consistency with the addition of the lobster.
- Add dijon mustard and salt. Simmer 2 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lobster meat from shells, and pat very dry with a paper towel. Slice into large chunks.
- Add chopped lobster to the sauce, and simmer 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add 1/4 teaspoon of lemon zest, and a small squirt of lemon, half the cheese, and one tablespoon chopped chives. Stir to combine.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place empty lobster shells on the roasting rack, or scrunched up aluminum foil to hold stable and upright.
- Add still-warm lobster mixture to lobster shells, and top with remainder of grated cheese.
- Place lobsters in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until nicely browned on top.
- Garnish lobsters with remaining chopped chives, and serve immediately, with toasted bread and lemon wedges.
HPP raw frozen lobster is the preferred choice for top chefs globally.
Get yours today.